The Police Dispatcher serves as the primary link between the public and the Police Officers in the field. You will receive emergency telephone calls and assist citizens with requests for service and general inquiries. Each call is evaluated and the appropriate Public Safety personnel are dispatched to handle the situation. Such decisions will frequently be made on an independent basis with after-the-fact supervisory review. Responsibilities also include using the CentralSquare Superion ONESolution Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) and Records Management System (RMS), maintaining records, and performing typing assignments which include data entry.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for enthusiastic, flexible and dedicated Police Dispatch professionals. Experienced (lateral) candidates must have at least one (1) year of employment equivalent to full-time in a public safety dispatch position, have successfully completed a probationary period with current employer and have a proven background in acceptable job performance.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience:
- A conscious work ethic that includes reporting for work as assigned
- Ability to interpret and give both verbal and written instructions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely over the radio and telephone
- Ability to interpret rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Keyboard skills
- Ability to make sound decisions using all available information
- Skill to accomplish tasks in a controlled, effective manner, including while handling critical incident calls
- Ability to develop and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with co-workers and the public
The candidate must be a U.S. Citizen of good moral character and free from conviction of a felony or serious misdemeanor. Police dispatchers are required to work holidays and weekends, as well as day, mid, and graveyard shifts.